Monday, March 28, 2011

Second Annual Knitting and Crochet Blog Week: Day 1

So I read about this over on The Sweatshop of Love's Blog -- Allyson, the knitter/blogger who runs said Sweatshop -- is the wonderful, talented lady who taught me to crochet!  I took a free workshop she was offering at one of the libraries here, and I can't even begin to tell you how grateful I am for her class!  And she's a brilliant designer/knitter & wonderful/hilarious writer!

I will say that I begin tech tomorrow for my next show at VG, so if I don't get my posts in on time, that's why.  But I do plan on responding to all of them!

So, without further ado: The Second Annual Knitting and Crochet Blog Week!


Day One: 28th March. A Tale of Two Yarns.
Part of any fibre enthusiast’s hobby is an appreciation of yarn. Choose two yarns that you have either used, are in your stash or which you yearn after and capture what it is you love or loathe about them.

Well.  Where to start.  Honestly, picking yarn is ALL ABOUT the way it feels to me.  I literally walk around yarn stores touching every possible skein or hank.  I'm a very tactile person to begin with, so for me to use a yarn, even if it's for a project for someone else, it has to be super soft.  If I come across the prettiest, most perfect yarn ever and it's rough & scratchy?  Nope.  No way.  Sorry, but it's not going to happen.

That being said, there are some yarns I turn to time and again.  Berocco's yarns are some of my favorite.  They're pretty decently priced for quality and how much you get in a skein, and they're soft!  Some are softer than others, but in general, they're all pretty great.  Berocco does a lot of yarn blending -- currently I'm making a cowl for my BRAND NEW ETSY SHOP using their Vintage yarn, which is 50% acrylic, 40% wool, and 10% nylon.  It's machine washable, and is still amazingly soft once it's washed!

I also love Lily's Sugar n Cream yarn.  I loveLOVElove making wash cloths with this 100% cotton yarn.  Some of it is softer than others while you're working with it, but once it's washed, it's all soft and feels so good on your face!  I'm making tons of wash cloths for my Etsy shop & for a friend of mine in Indy who is selling them in her home & garden store!  Oh yeah, and it's super cheap!

Yarn number last for this post, is Plymouth Yarn Company's Baby Alpaca Grande.  This is the softest of the soft & coziest of the cozy in my opinion.  And it's chunky.  Who doesn't love a good, chunky yarn.  Two down sides?  It has to be hand washed.  And it smells kind of funny when it's up by your face (I've made a cowl & a neck warmer out of it).  Oh yeah, and it's kinda pricey.  But generally worth it if for 1 or 2 skein projects.

Well, there you have it!  See you tomorrow for day 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment